Open Minds Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Open Minds Forum

Open Minds Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFOs, Extraterrestrial Contact, Conspiracy, Exopolitics, Geopolitics, Paranormal, Crypto-zoology, Ancient History, Cutting-Edge Science & Special Guests.

Latest topics

» Why are we here?
time - Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2 - Page 22 Icon_minitimeToday at 2:29 am by Mr. Janus

» What Music Are You Listening To ?
time - Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2 - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 6:22 pm by Mr. Janus

» Livin Your Best Life
time - Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2 - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 2:15 am by Big Bunny Love

» Uanon's Majikal Misery Tour "it's all smiles on the magic school bus"
time - Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2 - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 10:42 am by Mr. Janus

» WRATH OF THE GODS/TITANS
time - Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2 - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 7:23 am by Mr. Janus

» CockaWHO!?
time - Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2 - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2024 10:41 pm by Mr. Janus

» Scientists plan DNA hunt for Loch Ness monster next month
time - Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2 - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 1:32 am by Mr. Janus

» OMF STATE OF THE UNION
time - Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2 - Page 22 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2024 12:01 am by Mr. Janus

» Earth Intelligence
time - Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2 - Page 22 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 1:04 am by Mr. Janus

Who's Disclosure is Disclosure?

Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:16 am by Cyrellys

The narrative war is in full swing. When there's a 100 different competing narratives, how is it possible to discern a disclosure?

Is it akin to which truth is Truth?

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

+7
pman35
skaizlimit
Bard
Cyrellys
dan
Jake Reason
GSB/SSR
11 posters

Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2

GSB/SSR
    GSB/SSR
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

time - Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2 - Page 22 Empty Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2

Post by GSB/SSR Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:10 am

First topic message reminder :

And for the insane, or other wise, we present:

Schroedinger's Cat is not Alone

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1004.4206v4

Beatriz Gato, Beatriz Gato-Rivera
    (Submitted on 23 Apr 2010 (v1), last revised 31 Mar 2011 (this version, v4))
    We introduce the `Complete Wave Function' and deduce that all living beings, not just Schroedinger's cat, are actually described by a superposition of `alive' and `dead' quantum states; otherwise they would never die. Therefore this proposal provides a quantum mechanical explanation to the world-wide observation that we all pass away. Next we consider the Measurement problem in the framework of M-theory. For this purpose, together with Schroedinger's cat we also place inside the box Rasputin's cat, which is unaffected by poison. We analyse the system identifying its excitations (catons and catinos) and we discuss its evolution: either to a classical fight or to a quantum entanglement. We also propose the BSVΨ scenario, which implements the Complete Wave Function as well as the Big Bang and the String Landscape in a very (super)natural way. Then we test the gravitational decoherence of the entangled system applying an experimental setting due to Galileo. We also discuss the Information Loss paradox. For this purpose we consider a massless black cat falling inside a massive black hole. After that we outline a method to compute the contribution of black cats to the dark matter of the universe. Finally, in the spirit of Schroedinger, we propose that next generation double-slit experiments should use cats as projectiles. Cat interferometry will inevitably lead to the `Many Cats' interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, allowing to shed new light on old mysteries and paradoxes. For example, according to this interpretation, conservative estimates show that decision making of a single domestic cat will create about 550 billion whole universes every day, with as many replicas of itself.

time - Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2 - Page 22 Empty Re: Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2

Post by skaizlimit Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 pm

Dan, a perspective I prefer is the focus on individual salvation, because it bespeaks the need for individual identity and worth. Sometimes this concept is referred to as "unique personality unique to each soul".

Also, the concept of the Lord coming soon can be handled as nano-discrete steps in the interaction between individual soul and God, all for the continuing formation of each human creature as willed by God.
    dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

time - Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2 - Page 22 Empty Re: Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2

Post by dan Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:38 pm

July 10--- aboard the Baranof Wind of Allen Marine in Glacier Bay.
    Heading up to the Grand Pacific Glacier and stopping by Marble Island to see and hear the Stellar sea-lions.  

We have two things going on...... Atoms and taboo......

We can also think of subjects and objects.   And then we have monism and the Monad.  The cosmic pivot is, obviously, x1.  There is an exclusive inclusiveness, which is characteristic of the prophetic tradition.  The j-guy is everyone's favorite uncle, and a common point of reference.  Where is the taboo?  

The taboo is in the pew, such as at GFC.  This is where the Anthropocene comes in.  We were given dominion.  No?  So why is there resistance amongst the xians to the idea of human participation in the endtimes?  There actually isn't, in general.  It's mainly just about climate change.  For some reason, God would not allow us to do that.  Or is this just my perception of a taboo?  

There is the faith that God will provide, especially in reference to resources v. population.  Fertility rates have been declining in step, across almost all demographics, with a just a few significant exceptions, locally and globally.  Still, personal fertility has always been taboo, with modern China being a singular exception.  

Atomism is part of our taboo wrt the Other.  It is how we keep the other at bay.  Creator and Creation are not supposed to mix, with rare exceptions.  

Scientism is the process of taking that taboo for granite.  Leading up to the Gap, the atoms will melt back or merge back into the Monad.  Will that entail a schizoid ontos?  This duality could minimize the total confusion.

This latter duality will replace the former.  The mundane aspect will be semi-continuous as it transforms from the 12 megalopoli back into the 12 primordial megalithic regions or regimes.

Mind the Gap.  There is the perfectly natural fear that we will fall into the Abyss.  Actually we will just be merging into the Monad, along with the atoms.  Our ego consciousnesses will be absorbed by the Cosmic Cs.  This is as traumatic as waking up in the morning.... to Eternity.  So why the big deal?  It's not a big deal.  It is just the way to keep us down on the farm, for the duration of our history.  It is the Strong Deception and the Great Apostacy.  That is what Creation is.  The modern age of scientific materialism is just the SD/GA on steroids.  

Hey, we were the galley slaves of Creation.  We were the virgins in the Dynamo.  Let's get over it.... let's move on.  

Skai,

I think you are not following the evangelical example of Jesus.  Therefore you might not qualify as a Christian, but that fact will not prevent you from being saved by Jesus.  In the End, everyone will be so saved, resist though we might.  

IOW, we will be saved by and through history, but Jesus is the master of human history, as vouchsafed by God.  How can we know this?  It is the only rational way to explain existence.  This fact may seem deniable at present, but not after the advent of the MoAPS, which will be an undeniable event, just as was Copernicanism.  

So, yes, there is a rationale to history, and there is no escape from the Great Attractor in the sky.  Is this a denial of human freedom?  No more so than is gravity.  

We just have to understand the rationale of God's Self-concealment, which is just the other side of God's Self-revelation.  Then we understand that the SD/GA was the cornerstone of Creation.  How else could we have been coaxed from the cosmic Womb?  

And Aristotle and Leibniz had almost everything figured out.  So why are we still mired in ignorance?  It's all about the fullness of time.  I'm not holding my breath, but neither am I blinking.  

Aristotle did not understand the functionality of atoms.  Can we understand how their reality is contingent upon that functionality?  

Are we not simply suggesting a connection between ontology and teleology? This must be true if there be any other than material causes.

(cont.)

dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:53 am

I'm not aware of anyone attempting to synthesize Aristotle and Liebniz, other than possibly Hegel.  If I were a grad student again, this is where I might start.  But right now I'm off to hunt the orcas who are hunting the sea otters.........

Date: July 11, 2014, 7:17:32 AM AKDT
    To: "Rev Dr Anthony G. Pike"
    Cc: Ron <
    Subject: KoG

Anthony,

I almost missed this one, while vacationing in AK.  

I gather then that you must view yourself as the Second Coming or, at the least, as John the Baptist, relative thereto.  

Perhaps you and I can work out a deal......  

Sincerely,

Dan

On Jul 6, 2014, at 2:28 AM, "Rev Dr Anthony G. Pike"  wrote:

Theocratic Parliament of Russia

St Anthony - establishing the kingdom of God on earth

For those of you who may not know, St Anthony's Russian Queen is back from the gulag after being sent there for 1 yr to prevent her from ever seeing her beloved husband. Well, Mr Pooty Poots, you wanna use strong arm tactics on St Anthony's wife, you gotta another think coming you lily-livered pansy. You're not a man, you're a poof!! Come out and fight like a man and stop using St Anthony's wife to get at St Anthony. Remember, what happens to scumbags who use Steven Seagal's wife or daughter to get at him, they end up with their brains splattered all over the wall. Remember, you and your KGB pals murdered the Czar and his family and you're gonna pay for that mistake. Mr Putin, the game's up, you're all washed up and you know it and now you're resorting to harassing innocent women to get your way. That never pays, believe me at www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6qwO53n3Uw. So, Mr Putin, get real and get a life and release St Anthony's Russian Queen NOW!!
    Yours in the battle for planet earth,
    Rev Dr Anthony G. Pike (UK)
    Cosmic Research Foundation
    Markapur, A.P. 523316, India
    E-Mail  cosmicrf@hotmail.com
    Tel  91-8596-224312/9959-684635
    Date       6th July 2014

July 11 ----- aboard the Taz, a small boat designed for whale watching. We have only seen humpbacks, up to this point on our trip. And mainly that's all we have in here, along with just the occasional minke whale. The humpback nursery is in Hawaii in the winter. They make the commute in about a month.

We were still in the water, watching a humpback approaching. Within about 20' it pulled a hard right.... pretty near-sighted. Sometimes the boat will be drifting toward a sleeper, and they will have to stomp on the deck to wake it up. It is their passive hearing that guides them to the schooling fish.

Last edited by dan on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    skaizlimit

Post by skaizlimit Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:57 am

**Skai,

I think you are not following the evangelical example of Jesus. Therefore you might not qualify as a Christian **

Aha, Dan, I posed a question, which may be why you doubt my Christianity. I did this intentionally; I've learned to ask quite a few questions of Christian rulers, leaders, programmers, legalists, etc that they cannot answer. Yet since Jesus is the Answer, and these overlords claim to be in union with Him, then why can they not come up with a rational answer, or any answer at all?

The first one I stumped was a senior Baptist pastor, a Th.D. and participant on the Revised Standard Version ... He flushed and I bailed.

Next was the chairman of theology at Catholic University, who ended up (with a coterie of Jesuit scholars standing around the same coffee break room) pounding his fist on the table that the two of us sat at.

Decades later, my pastor in a local parish got very angry at me and never addressed whatever the issue was ... years went by ... evidently I posed some sort of a difficulty for him and he followed the same path as the other two Christian leaders. According to Scripture, Jesus never did such behavior, but rather explained according to what was asked ...

Jesus says in the Gospel, "Ask and you shall receive", and also, that the Father does not hand serpents to hungry children.

St Paul tells us that there are Christians who can provide the answers.

Psalms has it that we ... or is this also in the Gospel ... we should not muzzle the ox that treads the grain ... So, conclusionally, Jesus being the Answer and the questioners being the oxen treading the grain, then who is causing the problem, those who ask questions or those who change the venue to bringing home the bacon?
    skaizlimit

Post by skaizlimit Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:05 pm

BTW, Dan, Aristotle screwed up the philosophy of differentiating man from animal, by claiming (via the weakest excuse for a logical proof I have ever seen) no animal can reason. What a crock, and yet the entire western world has fallen hook, line and sinker for this irrational idea.

So, not only did The Philosopher provide fodder for all manner of errant politics for millenia to come, and which only now through serious scientific interest and study based at times on primary observation (no easy task) and logical conclusions is being revealed to more and more of the public, but ... well, this idea is going somewhere, but who knows where?
    dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:07 pm

Skai,

Where would I be without your loyal opposition?  But sometimes your subtleties stretch my perceptive abilities.  I may need to get you on the phone again, soon.  In the meantime let me try another tack......

Yes, Jesus is the one who made us, 'westerners', so individualistic or personalistic.  Nowhere else could one imagine a cosmology founded upon Personalism.  A recent Pope was a student of Personalism.  

Actually, I don't see a question in your post #526, to which I was merely commenting.  Before that you had asked, 'How so?' in regards to the value of the world/Creation.  Yes, my answer does presuppose the traditional version of pantheism.  New Age pantheists endeavor to guild that lilly, with more or less success.  You, however, do not strike me as a New Ager, by any stretch.  

IMHO, pantheism verges upon the oxymoronic, by its seeming reference to a personal deity, to which that tradition has been singularly antithetical, in THEORY, even, or especially, in its modern incarnation.  The Krishna movement is, of course, a glaring, unpantheistic, modern exception, being a rather poor attempt to ape Christianity, IMHO, of course.  

Skai, without a personal, benevolent Creator, the notion of a positively valued Creation makes no sense, whatsoever.  I thereby remain mystified as to your 'how so?' question.

Having seemingly dismissed pantheism, I immediately embrace panentheism, which, in the light of the BPWH, is a whole different animal.  Yes?

Having said this, much of your last two posts is lost upon me, but allow me to respond to your #526 from still another direction........

By my embrace of a monistic Universalism, you suppose that I am, somehow, devaluing the individual person.  Fair enough......

According to the BPWH, the ultimate reality is simply Love.  You and I, Skai, are nothing but love 'machines'.  Destined to lose ourselves in Agape.... to be rocked in the bosom of Abraham.  No?  

Do you not wish to become One with God...... to lose your ego-consciousness in the embrace of the cosmic Self?  Is this heresy?  If so, then let me burn a thousand times.  Hmmm...... well, would a hundred times be enough??  

Yes, the Eastern Church called this Apokatastasis, and even there, even as early as 300 AD, it was declared anathema.  What is with people?  Can you explain to me this aversion to at-One-ment, Skai??

Do I hereby suggest that, in Eternity, the Trinity gets, hmmm...... experiences Unity?  Yes, I do.  I do suppose that Creation represents the 'multiple personality disorder' (MPD) of an isolated God.  This is how God plays hide-and-seek with herself.  Aren't we having fun?!

Let me try to answer my own question........

In traditional pantheism the goal is Nirvana, which is alleged to be a transpersonal, trans-experiential bliss.  That may well be, relative to our meager, mundane ego-consciousnesses.  Awareness is all relative.  

Yes, many of the religious differences are semantic.  However, the least semantic of all the differences concerns the historicity and centrality of the X-event.  

If that Center, that Lynchpin, does not hold, Creation dissolves into oblivion.  Right now, you would have to be a Jesus-freak to understand this.  After the MOAPS, it will be absolutely unmistakable.  That personal Lynchpin is the Crux of the BPWH/SWH Monad.

That is the one Source, of which you and I are mere images.  

Skai looks around in the world, and sees so much evil that he, like Teilhard, cannot envision an Omega in anything less than a million years.  Me?  I'm a Millennialist, so God's Kingdom will last a thousand years, at most.  We may decide that we can manage our Apokatastasis in just a few hundred years.

And this is assuming, of course, that the MoAPS/X2/D-day will be occurring in the next couple of years, or is it next July(?), with Ron and the Lord still willing.  

Poor Skai.  Did his mother warn him that there might by years like this?  What can we expect, hanging out with the likes of R,A&D?  

8:15------- AKDT

And then we come around to souls and reasoning amongst our furry and feathered cousins........ Do dogs go to heaven is what this is about.

Dog lovers go to heaven, and love is what heaven is about. So go figure. Heaven is not a landscape. It is a heartscape.

And, yes, I am partial to sapience and eidetic memory, so, if you behave badly, Skai, your furry friends will not be able to sweet talk St. Peter.

(cont.)

skaizlimit

Post by skaizlimit Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:16 am

Dan, it's more like I believe that we retain our "ego", ie our unique individual soul when united with God; otherwise, what would be the point of any of this?

Also, as to the "end times", I do not see such an event as a step in some chronology, but as happening all the time, ie an ongoing event that began two millenia ago, and seems likely to be retroactive.

Of course dogs go to Heaven ... hasn't anyone around here heard of the rainbow bridge?
    dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:56 am

Skai,

You provide a good example of why the BPWH is so difficult to explain.  It is all about monism/holism, with love providing the entire rationale.  IOW, Creation is not an a-la-carte affair.  It seems we are so used to walking into a retail store and being overwhelmed by endless choices.  Why cannot God run the world like any decent Walmart?

Ownership is a big thing with us moderns, especially in the West.  But, guess what, Skai, we do not even own our own souls.  We just borrow them.  What is the point then, you ask?  

I do not belittle personal identity, but it can, at best, be a dim reflection of the cosmic Self. We are God's brain cells, and our personal 'hygiene' is very important to the whole scheme, but it is hardly the be all and end all of existence. Most spiritually minded folks, like you and me, Skai, do, reflexively, cultivate our sense of cosmic self-hood. Yes, we live in an already saved world. In as much as we do so, we are living in, partaking of eternity, the eternal Presence.

But, Skai, there is an essential feature of this eternal Presence, and I refer to it frequently..... our singular CTC. No one has ever even asked me what this is, and I'll wager that you don't know, either.

Yes, our best possible Creation is, necessarily a Closed Timelike Curve, embedded, very solidly, in Eternity. This CTC is God's own bootstrap device. Creation is eternal in that sense, even though, as mortals, we experience it as being purely temporal.

(cont.)

skaizlimit

Post by skaizlimit Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:10 pm

Dan, I'm not convinced that time comes to an end. Since I believe that souls are created ex nihilo and become eternal, then it is possible that the creature, time, may never end.

But you seem to say something like souls morph into God ... so, could it not be possible for time to morph into timelessness, ie eternity?

I'm glad you mentioned property. Property is a big issue especially today in global politics. Is property to be owned by ideas or by individuals or groups of individuals? Ie, is material property such as land or cars owned by an idea such as governement or by people such as you or me or a member of congress or a medical doctor in Turkey?

I'm trying to point out philosophical and theological difficulties by using abstract as well as concrete examples. Although I'm aware that "concrete" and "abstract" might morph into unintelligibility or disintelligibility or paraintelligibility et al intelligibiligy.

All in all, it seems to me you have launched on a time immemorial classic search for reality or call it truth, and so I'm plying you with questions ... obviously from my religious and cultural etc background ... and possible even questions that I've managed to snag out of some stream of mystery.
    dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:22 pm

Skai,

Dan, I'm not convinced that time comes to an end.

You are a philosophically and theologically astute person, and still the notion of a CTC is simply not registering with you.  What would I have to do to encourage you or anyone else to type it into a search bar?

Having just done that again, I do see that the Internet is not being very helpful.  It is still being treated as a purely technical subject.  Philosophers have been trained to not trespass into areas of physical speculation.  This trepidation is precisely why I exist in such splendid isolation.  

4:30--------AKDT

This is our final day in Gustavus, and the rain has finally caught up with us.  There was a pod of humpbacks in the nearby inlet vocalizing up a storm.  They gave an impressive audition.  By tomorrow we should be in Sitka.  

So I don't know what to do about the CTC.  The very last thing that philosophers or theologians engage in is speculative cosmology.  Since Copernicus, it has been strictly off limits to them.  It would be like a Longshoreman trying to encroach upon the Teamsters.  

But, hey, shifts happen, and we've ventured as far into materialism as is logically possible, and the last four hundred years have seen us struggling with Cartesian dualism, to almost no avail, other than as a palliative to the reductive nihilism that is science.  

The only way forward is to embrace an unprecedented gestalt switch into immaterialism.  It will be a brave new world.  It will be the BPWH/SWH.  

(cont.)

Last edited by dan on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
    skaizlimit

Post by skaizlimit Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:55 pm

**Philosophers have been trained to not trespass into areas of physical speculation. This trepidation is precisely why I exist in such splendid isolation.**

Exactly my criticism of Aristotle, who totally blew it by presuming w/o question that animals cannot reason. That was his foray into physical speculation ... how to explain the following centuries of trepidation? I don't know, but here you are, Dan.

I realize that I had not followed your explanation of ctc some time ago; I'll be more attentive the next round.
    dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:07 pm

Now, now, Skai.......

I don't think you sufficiently appreciate how very many dots have to be connected to come up with a coherent worldview.  That Aristotle and Leibniz came closer than anyone else is no mean feat.  One of us needs only to raise that bar a few more inches.  

Animals have many endearing qualities that recommend them above many of our benighted brethren.  

Many religions bestow divine qualities upon our fellow creatures.  The transmigration of souls is widely subscribed to in the East.  However, Skai, there is a downside to such a metaphysic, as history demonstrates.  

Where cows are revered, human rights are denigrated. It is hard to believe that there is no connection.

(cont.)

skaizlimit

Post by skaizlimit Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:18 pm

Dan, of course there are consequences to errant philosophies and theologies, no argument on that. Rather, my goal is to apprehend truth, and not to attempt to create it ... since, as I believe, truth exists not as a creature.

Sometimes, as in the case of animals, the truth may be quite simple. Perhaps the stakes were sufficiently high enough for both Aristotle and Aquinas that both felt justified in engendering the world ... as far as it went, ie the western world ... to sacrifice in a relagatory sense all the animals to bottom of the reasoning heap ... to wit, at the zero level.

Various and sundry Scriptures of the Bible point out images such as the Child lying down with the serpent, the Lamb with the wolf or lion or perhaps both. In none of these images do I find any transmogrification of the animal ... yet these images could symbolize people. After all, there is the totem aspect that likely comes into play somehow.

However, notwithstanding, I'm convinced that the restored creation will have animals who share peace with man (including women of course); creation gets going with the poet Adam wandering through the flora and fauna and giving out names for all of these non human living species ... Ever wonder what he named them ... my guess is that those original names were not in Latin or King's English.
    dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:46 pm

Gustavus was socked-in this morning, so we hitched a ride back to Juneau in a fishing boat.  We're about to depart for Sitka.  

Skai,

It is the JW's, I believe, who make the most of the biblical image of the lamb lying down with the lion.  There is some logic to this.  A couple of years ago I heard a scholar at the Cosmos and Creation conference at Loyola University in Baltimore speculating about the problem of mundane vs. heavenly thermodynamics.  This is a problem with which I too have struggled, for the last forty years, and I still don't have a complete answer.  Nonethess, the CTC hypothesis does provide a partial answer.  I will attempt an explanation enroute to Sitka.

(cont.)

skaizlimit

Post by skaizlimit Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Dan, the JWs don't have a stranglehold on Bible images.

Among the Evangelical End Time efforts, a noted End Time author admitted he had not been able to understand some of the prophetic imagery. The reason for this failure to get it is the sequential chronology of Millenialism, an interpretational system which only succeeds by picking and choosing from the Bible menu.

The essense of prophesy has nothing to do with time at all ... it is rather a look into the nature and supernature of man, of ourselves with respect to God.

Look at it this way: Prophesy is a "seeing", which is why prophets are also called seers. We cannot see time; therefore, time plays not major part in prophesy.

In my sense of things, time is a tool much like a yardstick is a tool; in both cases life goes on whether it is being measured or not (except of course in the forest where the tree falls when nobody is there).

Anyway, these are my guns, and I'm sticking to them.
    dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:46 pm

July 13----- enroute to Sitka - a 22' flight

The issue being addressed at Loyola was the cosmological import of the Fall.  Would the effects only have been felt on the Earth or throughout the cosmos?  This is a cleverly perspicacious question.  

We're talking about the 3rd law, I believe, which includes mortality.  Yes?  

If Adam hadn't eaten the apple, would the fast-pulsars still be spinning-down?  

Preposterous?  Yes and no.  

And we just made it into Sitka, on the second try....... low ceiling, short runway.  

Skai,

You are sounding, in your last post like the perfect mystic, relative to the sovereignty of God. I am that, too, in my mystical moments.

You suggest that time and history are an illusion. And most folks would like to ignore history, and not feel that we were living in dire times. You should not feel obligated attend to my unusual concerns relative to what I allege to be the plan for our salvation.

(cont.)

skaizlimit

Post by skaizlimit Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:05 am

Dan, was there anything left of that apple after Adam and Eve concluded that eating event? Maybe the whole Fall had to do with leaving scraps of it ... an environmental issue.

I'm not suggesting illusion or dismissing time. I'm suggesting that prophesy is essentially timeless, because it has to do with truth and truth has to do with God and God is timeless. This would be the philosophical proposition, to be followed by philosophical blah blah blah, and concluded with the idea that there is a genesis of time somewhere in the mix of creation and man's struggle with creation.

The end of time is twofold, as it is both individual and communal. And also the communal can be small or big or total. So, my proposition is not at odds with what you are doing at all, but would complement it in the sense of attempting to open up a little bit more of nature and supernature unbefuddled by the measuring stick we call "time".

We really do this all the time (oops, there it is again). We watch a soccer game unfold, and in the post game wrap up we talk a bit more about the lives of each player. I'm claiming that prophesy essentially has more to do with the wrap up convo than with the game itself. But as in the case of the horse and carriage, they go together. Like I heard it from a Jesuit, the Kingdom of Heaven is already "and" not yet.

Evangelicals seem to me to paint the Second Coming as an event that is parallel to the event of creation, ie "out of nothing", "ex nihilo", in that there is no transition from this world to the next, but that it is scheduled to happen "in the blink of an eye". Genesis 1 depicts the Spirit hovering over a lifeless sea and then quicker than the eye can blink there is life teeming all over the place. In this sense there is simply no transition. So with Evangelical presentations of the scheduled Second Coming, in that there is nothing in creation leading up to it, ie no transition, merely a blink of the eye event.

But in Catholicism studying, what I find is that there is a transition, one that is long, historically descriptive, and both tedious and joyful ... and that is shared by man and God. This transition is often called "works". Man sins, man tries to make up for it, God cuts him a deal; it takes time, but the grande handshake is timeless.
    skaizlimit

Post by skaizlimit Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:15 am

Uh, back to the soccer game and wrap up convo analogy: "wrap up convo" in the sense of the matter and dynamics of the soccer game. This implies and requires knowledge ... knowledge used by the players, by the fans, and by the wrap up artistes (spinners, bookies, media ...). The problem I "suffered" in the four physics courses I took (two in high school and two in university) was and is in the area of "discrete" ... ran into the same problem in linguistics ... where the concepts of etic and emic were introduced. But there it was easier to deal with once I got beyond the step off point into abstraction. So, particles and so forth not to mention vectors ... my problem was/is defining the arena.

I have found a problem or possibly a virtue in this "failure" in that it resembles a problem found in some kids who have trouble "shutting out" perceptions that are not relevant at a given moment. Eg, as a kid I found that my mother could shut out all the yapping from the neighborhood dogs ... but I could not do that, because I had to incorporate every sense input into whatever I was occupied with. Maybe it is like seeing "everything" but not knowing how to put it all together, or organize it.

The philosophy of fatalism locks everything into an eyeblink; but I do not do that, rather preferring to keep seeing how it all works out. But who can see near and far at the same time, or in and out at the same time? Maybe this point is where we all began our treks into communicating. And thus ... (philosophical banter here) ... animals are neatly packaged in this sense (by us) but we're incessently striving against any limiting attempts. Hence, in Genesis or some such book of the Bible, a man who made a business of prophesy was walking along with his donkey one day, when suddenly that donkey lurched to a stop and began talking to him, warning him of the angel with a sword of fire blocking their path. Speak about animals escaping from their cages ... I'm like whoa dude on this one. The story also implies that not man but something more powerful manages what man can see and not see; for, somehow that business man of prophetical inclinations could see what normally no one can see, ie a spiritual being. A bit of irony in that this prophet was blinding himself by focusing on money and being swayed by fear, but that a greater power cut through the mustard and either "became" material for a moment or opened up the man's vision a little bit ... ie gave him an actual prophetic moment as opposed to his false prophetic rantings and ramblings.

Whether this story tells of a true event or if only the story is true is a question long debated ... So how does one put this sort of thing into some discretely organized interpretation? Perhaps it cannot be done. Thus, the mystery of cosmology, and the struggle to make the right decision, whether on the individual, small group, large group, or total group level.
    dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:13 pm

Date: July 15, 2014, 1:51:32 PM AKDT
    To: Sam and David
    Cc: Ron
    Subject: Standing-by for the next ice age....

How humans will leave no trace, despite the Anthropocene.....

Begin forwarded message:

Date: July 11, 2014, 7:15:52 PM AKDT
    To: Dan
    Subject: Re: Johns Hopkins glacier, Glacier Bay, AK
    New paper finds the majority of glaciers have advanced in size since 1990

By: Marc Morano - Climate DepotAugust 30, 2013 5:28 PM

New paper finds the majority of glaciers have advanced in size since 1990
    http://hockeyschtick.blogspot.com/2013/08/new-paper-finds-majority-of-east.html
    A new paper published in Nature finds that a majority of the outlet glaciers have advanced in size over the past 20 years from 1990 to 2010. According to the paper, “Despite large fluctuations between glaciers—linked to their size—three [significant] patterns emerged: 63 per cent of glaciers retreated from 1974 to 1990, 72 per cent advanced from 1990 to 2000, and 58 per cent advanced from 2000 to 2010.” According to the authors, “In the 1970s and 80s, temperatures were rising and most glaciers retreated. During the 1990s, temperatures decreased and most glaciers advanced. And the 2000s saw temperatures increase and then decrease, leading to a more even mix of retreat and advance.” “When it was warm and the sea-ice decreased, most glaciers retreated, but when it was cooler and the sea ice increased, the glaciers advanced.” [Note: Antarctic sea ice is currently near record-high levels]
    Excerpt from the paper:
    Here we present multidecadal trends in the terminus position of 175 ocean-terminating outlet glaciers along 5,400 kilometres of the margin of the East Antarctic ice sheet, and reveal widespread and synchronous changes. Despite large fluctuations between glaciers—linked to their size—three epochal patterns emerged: 63 per cent of glaciers retreated from 1974 to 1990, 72 per cent advanced from 1990 to 2000, and 58 per cent advanced from 2000 to 2010.
    dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Skai,

You seem to suggest that time and history are not essential to Creation, and that Creation is not essential to salvation.

God has a plan. Human history is an essential part of that plan. I will explain it to you, if you want. But I have no desire to force it upon you. You will find out, soon enough.

I am leaving for the ferry back to Bellingham. It will be a three night trip.
    skaizlimit

Post by skaizlimit Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:40 pm

The public seems to have bought into only one interpretation of polar bears stranded on small pieces of ice and floating around aimlessly. It however seems obvious to me that the real interpretation is that the polar bear population is expanding faster than the polar ice is expanding, and is running out of room. Maybe the fed govt should help bus them into Alaska and set them up with their own glacier homes.

Dan, I never bought into the "mantra" that "God has a plan for us", other than any such plan would be an open ended plan. Not, myself, being much of a cosmologist, I spend almost no time or thought on life beyond Planet Earth ... yet I do not argue against material life beyond our universe either. Heck, it is hard enough to get the neighbor's yapping dog to cease and desist, let alone trying to manage the possibility of universal aliens migrating or exploring Earth.

As for the universal end of time, I'm good to go with simply being prepped for it ... as in worship God, and love neighbor as myself. And the theologians work at defining and redefining these few terms, century upon century; and the religion managers shuffle us around according to their diverse takes on it all.

Whereas recent popes have pushed the social justice movements, almost all historic popes have pushed the personal holiness movement. But when shepherds run amok, butting heads with one another, what are the flocks supposed to do to keep from getting fleeced? Perhaps that would be where the cosmologists and evangelicals come into their own.
    skaizlimit

Post by skaizlimit Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:44 pm

BTW, Dan, while in Alaska did your tour group visit the front porch of Sarah Palin and gaze upon Russia? Siberia can be a wonderful sight in the summertime.
    dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:35 pm

Skai,

Not on a tour, and did not see Russia.

Did see Canada, and it was all covered with ice.

We are one hour out of Ketchikan. It is a 70* heat wave. Obvious proof of Global Warming!

(cont.)

skaizlimit

Post by skaizlimit Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:16 pm

Dan, we've got global cooling here today, not even over 100*, no reason to even put on the a/c today.

dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:43 pm

We'll know it's global warming when Californians invent the cool-tub.

We are God's children, Skai, not his spawn.  But, if you prefer being God's spawn, well, each to their own.  

You don't believe in universal Creation, so neither do you believe in a universal plan of salvation.  Ok, but then what was Jesus up to?  

God wakes up each morning and tries to remember why he created the world, and wonders whether it's time to create another one.  

Hey, God just does his own thing and chills out.  If we don't like it, we can go find another Creator.  

Uh, oh, running out of bars, and out of Ketchikan..... Catch you on the flip side.......

Switching back to AT&T......

Want to talk about time and the universal present. Running out of AT&T, also..... Will continue off-line.....

(cont.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:10 am