Open Minds Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Open Minds Forum

Open Minds Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFOs, Extraterrestrial Contact, Conspiracy, Exopolitics, Geopolitics, Paranormal, Crypto-zoology, Ancient History, Cutting-Edge Science & Special Guests.

Latest topics

» Why are we here?
What Music Are You Listening To ?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeToday at 5:49 am by dan

» What Music Are You Listening To ?
What Music Are You Listening To ?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:32 pm by Mr. Janus

» WRATH OF THE GODS/TITANS
What Music Are You Listening To ?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 pm by Mr. Janus

» Livin Your Best Life
What Music Are You Listening To ?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:43 am by Big Bunny Love

» Uanon's Majikal Misery Tour "it's all smiles on the magic school bus"
What Music Are You Listening To ?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 10:42 am by Mr. Janus

» CockaWHO!?
What Music Are You Listening To ?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2024 10:41 pm by Mr. Janus

» Scientists plan DNA hunt for Loch Ness monster next month
What Music Are You Listening To ?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 1:32 am by Mr. Janus

» OMF STATE OF THE UNION
What Music Are You Listening To ?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2024 12:01 am by Mr. Janus

» Earth Intelligence
What Music Are You Listening To ?  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 1:04 am by Mr. Janus

Who's Disclosure is Disclosure?

Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:16 am by Cyrellys

The narrative war is in full swing. When there's a 100 different competing narratives, how is it possible to discern a disclosure?

Is it akin to which truth is Truth?

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

+24
Eben Yblod
Samuel
Big Bunny Love
Cheguevoblin
Foresaperire
U
Cuan Scott
Just wandering
GrandCru
Jason Llamas
Sign
RandomSample
drwu23
Cliff-67
HarvardLawSecretSociety
dragonfly5455
Cyrellys
Admin
pman35
Jake Reason
spacemaverick
Bard
Cliff
28 posters

What Music Are You Listening To ?

Cliff
    Cliff

What Music Are You Listening To ?  - Page 4 Empty What Music Are You Listening To ?

Post by Cliff Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

What better way to breathe life back into OMF ?

GOOD MUSIC ! Very Happy Cool cheers What a Face lol!

Deep Purple - Space Truckin

99 and U like this post

What Music Are You Listening To ?  - Page 4 Empty Re: What Music Are You Listening To ?

Post by Guest Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:45 pm

What Music Are You Listening To ?  - Page 4 Empty Re: What Music Are You Listening To ?

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:43 am

The German Wave of the '60s was heavily influenced by the American Big Bands of the '30s and '40s, as can easily be seen in its styles and song choices, easy listening being basically a continuation of the Big Band Era, just as Eurodance was basically a continuation of disco, but some, like Kaempfert, James Last (Hans Last), and Kai Warner (Werner Last, his brother), later diversified into more contemporary styles, including disco. Most were also composers, arrangers, and producers. One, Werner Muller, did several recordings with France Gall. At least 3 were drafted into the German armed forces in WW2, captured by the Allies, and put into POW camps in Denmark or Holland. They were Kaempfert, Ladi Geissler, and Horst Wende. We see jazz guitarist Geissler at the beginning of the video but hear him and his famous and much-imitated knack guitar throughout.

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:50 pm

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:38 am

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Eddy Barclay (Edouard Ruault) was one of the most prominent record company owners in France, but was also a  record producer, jazz pianist, band leader, film composer, arranger, magazine publisher (Jazz Magazine, which he co-founded in '54), night club owner (Barclay's Club or The Barclay, opened in '47),  bon vivant, and jet setter.  He founded Blue Star in '49, Riviera in '54, and in the same year, Disques Barclay, uniting Blue Star, Riviera, and the French edition of Mercury, for which he was distributor since '51. He was known as 'l'empereur du microsillon.' He produced many of the biggest names in French song: Charles Aznavour, Charles Trenet, Hughes Aufray, BB, Jacques Brel, Eddy Constantine, Eddy Mitchell,  Dalida, Léo Ferré, Juliette Greco, Françoise Hardy, Michel Delpech, Michel Sardou, Mireille Mathieu.  He recruited musical luminaries Quincy Jones (who had settled in Paris from '57-'61), Raymond Lefebvre, and Michel Legand as arrangers. He is also known for his lavish celebrity parties in St. Tropez. Barclay Records also handled many of the  biggest names in  Québec song: Claude Dubois, Claude Léveillé, Renée Claude, Charlebois, Diane Dufresne, Jean-Pierre Ferland, Isabelle Pierre.

Les Amants de Paris was introduced in 1948 by Edith Piaf, with music by Léo Ferré and Eddy Marnay and lyric by Léo Ferré.
    Member of Distinction
    Member of Distinction

Post by 99 Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:37 am

Post by Guest Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:26 am

This is a flash mob at the Carrefour Laval, Quebec's largest shopping center, which opened in '74, is only a few miles from where I live, and where I once went. The song is the great Marry You by Bruno Mars. But watch what happens at the end. (The 2nd video is  a short version, where they do close-ups).

Last edited by X. Troy Dinaire on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:03 am

This rousing, lively song was originally Il topolino blu (The little blue mouse), written by Pace, Panzieri, and Pilade. 'Blu' is borrowed from the French 'bleu', which was borrowed from the Frankish 'blau'. I suspect the Hawaiian 'polu' for blue was borrowed from English. It gets around. She also did the Italian version. A torpedo was an antique car made from 1908 to '35.

The French lyric was by her father Robert, who was a prominent lyricist, writing for many French singing stars, including Edith Piaf. It's rather odd but humourous, about a car which plants itself in front of her door once summer returns and makes everything gay. She doesn't know what 'bon vent' (good wind, which can probably be translated as 'good fortune') brings it and honks day and night to go off with her, it's 'une explosion de joie', which doesn't need translating. 'Moi, j'en voie de toutes les couleurs' (literally, Me, I see all colours) is not so easy to translate, but 'going thru a lot' is a good way of putting it. The car has a bar, flowers, TV, a motorcycle, and airplanes, and puts fish (poisson), shrimp (crevettes), and sea water (eau de mer) in its tank, but not  even one pickle (cornichon). Going uphill, if it heats up, it takes Typhoon syrup (sirop Typhon), which seems to be some kind of elixir and is the title of a song by fellow French singer Richard Anthony, also in '69, a remake of a very familiar song (possibly an English pub song, the title of which I can't remember) or vice versa. Sometimes people she doesn't know say, or she says to them, 'See you, how are you', but their (hers and the car's) heart doesn't care, it's not important, cause it's vacation time.

The Italian lyric says that all roads take you to the sea, and you want to follow them, but this one doesn't, and I tell you this because the arrows hit the heart, but yours doesn't. It turns and turns around your love and then goes away. All pearls are found in the sea, but not yours.  You guess who you are for it, a little blue mouse, and therefore never deceive yourself. It wants to play with you, it wants to dream with you. It lets you climb. But it never reveals itself.

This is at Expo in Montréal, in the series Donald Lautrec Chaud, a play on the anglicism 'show' (although the uploader says it's Coup de soleil), hosted by singer and actor Donald Lautrec, which I watched regularly, but remember it from '70. (Note added: I looked it up, and it's the same show; it was called 1st Coup de soleil and then Donald Lautrec chaud, ran from '69-'71, and was on Radio-Canada (Channel 2, the French CBC).

Last edited by X. Troy Dinaire on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:37 pm; edited 4 times in total

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:08 pm

This is the same show and the same year. The song was composed by Jean-Pierre Bourtayre and penned by the lyricist duo Rivat-Thomas. The lyric is apparently about a bird who is the wife of Pablo de Rossignol, so it might be a robin as that's what 'rossignol' means. It sings on the very small man's balcony and comes and goes and flies in his house. It says if I liked you 20 minutes, don't ask more of me, don't hold me here. It goes on to say, ''Very small man, your heart I took, yet I like better to whistle on the cherry trees. Very small man, a violin tune, sing my 4 seasons, and that's my life. And you, you have 4 houses, a donkey, and a cart. You would like to lock me up and keep me for yourself. Seeking riches, do you have much joy? What are you doing with your life?''

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:06 pm

Post by Guest Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:34 am

Post by Guest Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:37 am

Originally done in 1928 for the film by the same title by Dolores Costello, music by Milton Ager and Dan Dougherty, this ragtime classic was done by Ruth Edding, Ted Lewis, Whispering Jack Smith, Nat Shilket and his Victor Orch., Ben Bernie, the Golden Gate Orch., Dan Ritchie, Arthur Briggs, the Manhattan Melody Makers, and Ted Gott and his Rose Room Orch., all in '29, but also by Earl Hines, Jack Hylton, Allen Selby, Knuckes O'Toole (Billy Rowland), Crazy Otto (Fritz Schultz-Reichel)(in '55), Gus Arnheim, and recently by Rod McKuen and Diana Krall. There was also a later '60s version, which was when I first heard it and which was probably the best, but I don't remembr the name of the orchestra or chorus.

Last edited by X. Troy Dinaire on Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:52 pm

Not only a great bandleader, musician, arranger, and producer, James Last was also a great composer.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:29 pm

A great rendition of a Sons of the Pioneers song, along with Don Winters and Bobby Sykes. I have no idea what this TV show is or the year.

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Les Paul (Lester Polfuss), American magician of the guitar, inventor, and composer of German descent, was one of the pioneers of the solid-body electric guitar. He was heavily influenced by the famous Django Rhinehart. Although Paul was known mostly for jazz and popular music, he had an early career in country. He is credited with many recording innovations. Although he was not the first to use some of the techniques, thru his early experiments he was the first to popularize overdubbing (sound on sound), delay effects (such as flanging, chorus effect, and reverberation), phasing effects, and multi-track recording. He also used close-miking, equalization, and vibrato. In 1952, he invented the flange effect, where a sound phases in and out in harmonic tone. The first example of this can be heard in his Mammy's Boogey. He also composed many songs, including the gospel song Don't You Hear Dem Bells and Mammy's Boogey.

His inventiveness carried over into his playing style, producing licks, trills, chording sequences, fretting techniques, and timing, which set him apart from his contemporaries and inspired many future guitarists, such as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

By 1961, the Les Paul guitar was out of production, but as pop music changed in the '60s, it owed much of its studio sophistication to advances pioneered by Paul.

He had also teamed up with his super-singer wife Mary Ford (Colleen Summers) in 1950. They had 13 consecutive hits in the '50s that have sold over 10 million copies. Their first multi-track hit, a remake of "How High the Moon," was released in early 1951, reached No. 1, and went on to sell 1.5 million copies. Paul made a chorus of Ford's voice and filled every pause with his refined country-jazz licks. His studio wizardry included 12 overdubs. No one had ever heard anything like this before. It was the sound of the future.
    Sign

Post by Sign Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Sorry but there is only on band in the Universe worth listening to..

BON JOVI ... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Signman

Post by Guest Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:04 am

The party-time, good-cheer rendition of Chris Montez masterfully done  in French was indicative of the spirit of much of the Super '60s, like Fun, Fun, Fun by the Beach Boys, James Last's Non-Stop Dancing, Do You, Do You St. Tropez, and what was later called sunshine pop, called les années d'insouciance (the carefree years) in France. sunny
    Sign

Post by Sign Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:06 am

Signman

Last edited by Signman on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:44 am; edited 3 times in total

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:35 am

So you hate music and having fun. That's your damn problem. Don't make it other people's problem, too.
    Sign

Post by Sign Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:08 am

apologises X. Troy Dinaire

Signman
    Cyrellys
    Cyrellys
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Cyrellys Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:13 am

Hey guys. What's going on? Abuse report in my Admin panel box? Seriously? Over music? And here I thought this was going to be another Dan faux pas involving air drops of pigs & hams over muslim territory or something!

Easy does it guys. Back to music...

I'm listening to: STEAMPUNK!

"This is an indeterminite problem. How shall I solve it? Pessimistically? Or optimistically? Or a range of probabilities expressed as a curve, or several curves?..........Well.....we're Loonies. Loonies bet. Hell, we have to! They shipped us up and bet us we couldn't stay alive. We fooled 'em. We'll fool 'em again!" Robert Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Rue she said Protection
    Rooster's Crow Confusion
    One thing else to end the deed --
    A dog with no Illusion.

~ Walter Wangerin Jr., Book of the Dun Cow
    Cyrellys
    Cyrellys
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Cyrellys Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:25 am

SJ Tucker's "Sorrow's Song (Child of Dying Stars)

Did you know that Drui & Bandrui scholars once wore a feathered cloak (like a uniform).
    Where is cinnamon? hint.
    What does the firebird represent?
    What is the relationship between the Drui & the Brahman?

Have celts ever traveled to the ends of worlds and back?
    What is murias? or gorias? and the other two?

Which 4th century story at Corpus of Electronic Texts, tells of the great generation ships returning to Eireann out of the western skies to land with their precious cargo? That a oath was taken by each to guard and guide human potential?

Can reference to the human potential concept be found among writings by colonial American members of Nature's Crowd?

Can reference to the human potential concept be found in the Declaration of Causes 1775 carried by George Washington in his saddle bags to Philadelphia and the Continental Congress?

Ah, what truths are hidden in our songs? Even the strangest ones?

"This is an indeterminite problem. How shall I solve it? Pessimistically? Or optimistically? Or a range of probabilities expressed as a curve, or several curves?..........Well.....we're Loonies. Loonies bet. Hell, we have to! They shipped us up and bet us we couldn't stay alive. We fooled 'em. We'll fool 'em again!" Robert Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Rue she said Protection
    Rooster's Crow Confusion
    A dog with no Illusion.

Sign

Post by Sign Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:39 am

I'll post this one again..

Signman
    Cyrellys
    Cyrellys
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Cyrellys Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:24 am

Signman wrote:I'm here to have some serious conv's too.

just tell X.  i'm  sorry and he should not avoid me..

kind regards

Dave

Ok all sorted!

And to smooth over our formerly rough edges (we'll blame it on the Gods and the Drink)....I dedicate a classic filk song by Leslie Fish: 

Rue she said Protection
    Rooster's Crow Confusion
    A dog with no Illusion.

Cyrellys
    Cyrellys
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Cyrellys Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:35 am

Here's one I bet neither of you have heard?

Frank Hayes - Album "Don't Ask" - song "S-100"

Rue she said Protection
    Rooster's Crow Confusion
    A dog with no Illusion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:15 pm