Open Minds Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Open Minds Forum

Open Minds Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFOs, Extraterrestrial Contact, Conspiracy, Exopolitics, Geopolitics, Paranormal, Crypto-zoology, Ancient History, Cutting-Edge Science & Special Guests.

Latest topics

» Livin Your Best Life
Hello, Cy, hello, OMF II - Page 34 Icon_minitimeToday at 9:42 pm by Big Bunny Love

» Why are we here?
Hello, Cy, hello, OMF II - Page 34 Icon_minitimeToday at 6:13 pm by Big Bunny Love

» What Music Are You Listening To ?
Hello, Cy, hello, OMF II - Page 34 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:52 pm by Mr. Janus

» WRATH OF THE GODS/TITANS
Hello, Cy, hello, OMF II - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 11:01 pm by Mr. Janus

» Uanon's Majikal Misery Tour "it's all smiles on the magic school bus"
Hello, Cy, hello, OMF II - Page 34 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 1:13 am by Mr. Janus

» CockaWHO!?
Hello, Cy, hello, OMF II - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2024 10:41 pm by Mr. Janus

» Scientists plan DNA hunt for Loch Ness monster next month
Hello, Cy, hello, OMF II - Page 34 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 1:32 am by Mr. Janus

» OMF STATE OF THE UNION
Hello, Cy, hello, OMF II - Page 34 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2024 12:01 am by Mr. Janus

» Earth Intelligence
Hello, Cy, hello, OMF II - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 1:04 am by Mr. Janus

Who's Disclosure is Disclosure?

Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:16 am by Cyrellys

The narrative war is in full swing. When there's a 100 different competing narratives, how is it possible to discern a disclosure?

Is it akin to which truth is Truth?

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

+11
dylan OMF-Original
ScaRZ
IPFreely
Cyrellys
Mur
Paul Chefurka
Jake Reason
Bard
Admin
dan
15 posters

Hello, Cy, hello, OMF II

dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Hello, Cy, hello, OMF II - Page 34 Empty Hello, Cy, hello, OMF II

Post by dan Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Testing.......

Yes, it is working.

Congratulations to Cyrellys & Co.!

I will be continuing the BPWH blog from Compass Morainn, which was a continuation from the original OMF site on ProBoards, which is in the process of being re-archived from that site.

(cont.)

Last edited by dan on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Jake Reason
    Jake Reason
    Admin
    Admin

Hello, Cy, hello, OMF II - Page 34 Empty Re: Hello, Cy, hello, OMF II

Post by Jake Reason Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:27 pm

Well, Dan is now off-the-grid. Where not even a radio wave can be found, except satellite. The Sound of Silence, immersed in a tropical wonderland graced with Scarlett Macaw, Holler Monkeys, Water Falls and Orchids.
    I'm jealous.

Even though he may not read this for a few days or more, I'll respond;

Well, 'Jake Reason', my long-time interlocutor on the Open Minds forum, still insists that he won't be ready to meet his maker until he has been granted a flying-saucer tour of the Milky Way. I kid you not, just ask him! I must be a spoil-sport.
    That's cute - you putting words in my mouth again. Although I've never suggested such, I can understand why you say it. Surely a Galactic Trip would be the Dream of all Travelers. But I do not expect any galactic whimsical adventures in this life. No such lucky-stars.

RtB says demons..... Billy Graham says angels....... You and the Vatican say good ET's.......

I say UT/cosmic messengers/agents.
    I say ET/UTs, mostly good with a few bad apples.
    This has been my view for as long as I can remember.

Tweedle-dee - tweedle-dum, Jake. You are ascribing more power to the dark force than is Hugh&Co.
    Ahhh, close enough for horseshoes. But...

Rather I see Hugh&Co erroneously attributing greater power of awareness & reasoning to themselves, than to Angels. Even comparing 'mice to men' is too generous.

They still think Lucy is insane. And fail to contemplate why Adam & Eve weren't alone in the garden. To everything there is a purpose under heaven.

Don't ya know that God is a drama-Queen? She loves nothing better than to put on a Surprise party
    Oh. And here I was under the impression that Politically Controlled Scientific Materialism was covering up the 'Surprise'. On that note... how did PCSM learn that trick?

Hugh&Co have a good work and purpose. However in this arena - MoAPs, they would be wise to learn how to think like Kings. In this, the Vatican has the upper hand. It's too bad the city has been infiltrated. Can Protestants muster the required understanding?

Oh Sigh. Every time I go down this road, hoping to find a solutionary construct, it always resolves to Great Tribulation. I guess that is what it is going to take to get the job done. Man is simply too stubborn. Always wanting to go their own way, being their own God, and ends up running astray.

Oh well, in the meantime... I'll stand with my statement:
    "Preaching 'UFOs are Demons', is the surest way to reduce the number of those written in the book of life."

Not that it will make any difference. Hollywood well knows, people like to believe Aliens are Evil and humans are the good guys. Too bad they haven't checked into Ufology. Can't say I've ever heard of a real evil alien story.

GSB/SSR
    GSB/SSR
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by GSB/SSR Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:19 pm

A must-read article ... By “existential risks” (E.R.) we mean, roughly, catastrophic risks to our species that are “our fault,” in the sense that they arise from human technologies.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/cambridge-cabs-and-copenhagen-my-route-to-existential-risk/?hp

Admin
    Admin

Post by Jake Reason Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:42 pm

GSB/SSR wrote:A must-read article ... By “existential risks” (E.R.) we mean, roughly, catastrophic risks to our species that are “our fault,” in the sense that they arise from human technologies.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/cambridge-cabs-and-copenhagen-my-route-to-existential-risk/?hp

Thanks Gary. Nice to see that some academics have been given the go ahead to research this for "threat assessment".

Dan and I talked about this (advent of AI) a couple years ago on the original OMF. He critiqued it as misadventure of scientific materialism. And I provided input of 2000 year old prophecies that foretell of a globally aware non-human system with miraculous powers. Whereas if we interpret these prophecies through our technological frame of reference, the miraculous depictions could be achieved with an AI connected to the internet.

It's in the genre of the 666 theme. "Revelation" calls it - The Beast.

Of course this is all conjecture. Prophecies are difficult to discern. But non-the-less, it's surprising and interesting that John could imagine such things in 1st century CE.

dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:35 pm

I apologize for having underestimated the epidemiology of the Internet. Well, I'm not the first one to have done so.........
    Date: January 29, 2013 3:28:35 PM CST
    To: Paul Chefurka
    Cc: 14 members of Steve Salmony's environmental list. 

Subject: Eco-eschatology.......

(Well, we tried to get off the grid, but we didn't quite manage, now, did we.....?!) 

Today we took a four-hour walk with Philip Davison, a naturalist at Bosque del Cabo, who maintains his own blog........  http://felipedelbosque.wordpress.com/category/philips-nature-diary/ .  The focus was on the systemics of leaf-cutter ant colonies...... >>> (wiki) Next to humans, leafcutter ants form the largest and most complex animal societies on Earth. In a few years, the central mound of their underground nests can grow to more than 30 metres (98 ft) across, with smaller, radiating mounds extending out to a radius of 80 metres (260 ft), taking up 30 to 600 square metres (320 to 6,500 sq ft) and containing eight million individuals. <<<

Philip's stands out as the best such tour, in our travels.  And it inspires another modification to the BPWH..... 

Ecologists tend to stress human exceptionalism wrt to the rest of nature.  Allow me, please, to agree and disagree, in the following manner...... 

On the exceptionalist view, we are a cancer upon the planet.  My philosopher friend, Craig Dilworth, has one of the best expositions of this PoV, in his book, 'Too Smart for Our Own Good', where he introduces the 'vicious circle pinciple', whereby successive technological stages bring us closer to the brink of extinction.  Craig posits that, with this final, industrial stage, we are writing our epitaph.  It is hard to dispute his point, but I will, by invoking the cosmic Chrysalis model.  

(cont.) 

Date: January 29, 2013 4:51:20 PM CST
    Cc: + 14 others..... 

Subject: Re: Eco-eschatology.......

(cont.......) 

The chrysalis model is not new to the BPWH.  What is new, with this iteration of it, is the emphasis on the crucial role of humanity wrt the cosmic ecology.  IOW, I am directly countermanding Craig's thesis of our being too smart for our own britches, or, as the Brits would say, too smart (at least!) by half.  

But, note-bene, that, by the same token, I'm partially contradicting John Wheeler's notion of the universe as a home for humankind.  The BPWH introduces a third and much more radical alternative..... 

No, this is not our home.  Our home is in the 'sky', and the Earth is our launch platform, and the  launch window will open in about 200 years, and it won't be funded by your tax-dollars. 

IOW, sapience is a necessary part of the cosmic ecology, and we are getting smarter all the time, although, sometimes that is hard to tell!  

And, yes, a-la Craig, the ecological benefits of all this sapience has been lost on the ecologists..... sapience is going to be a hard act to follow.  Perhaps, the performance of an encore may not have been the cosmic intent, but what is ecology without an endless repetition?  How, otherwise, could sapience possibly have evolved?  Once again, humanity seems to have been left, twisting in the cosmic wind, stranded on our pale blue dot.  

Whence sapience.......?  From what skyhook are we dangling so precariously?  

Clearly, it cannot be a skyhook.... it must be some sort of Bootstrap.  Now, we are already familiar with the Ouroboros and the CTC.  Is there anything special about the BPWH version, thereof?  Well, according to my buddy, Leibniz, ours is the best possible CTC.  Now, there is a leap of faith!  Yes and no........ 

Nature is replete with optimality, or, at least it was, until we the deck.  Now, we threaten to throw the monkey-wrench into the leaf-cutter machine.  

(cont......2) 

GSB/SSR
    GSB/SSR
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by GSB/SSR Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:03 pm

Ray Kurzweil Says We’re Going to Live Forever

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/magazine/ray-kurzweil-says-were-going-to-live-forever.html?src=recg

Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:24 am

Cc: 14 others on the Steve Salmony environmental list 
    Subject: Re: Eco-eschatology.......

(cont......2) 

Cosmic role for sapience..........?  

What it comes down to are the anthropic and participatory principles.  

John Wheeler posited the universe as being Participatory.  Why so?  Well, mind you, this was well before the notion of the Multiverse gained currency, although, it was Wheeler's student, Hugh Everett, who first broached the topic of a multiverse, back in 1957, with his Many Worlds Interpretation (MWI) of quantum mechanics. 

If it turns out that there is only this one world or one universe, then the existential fact of sapience would seem to demand an explanation, of some sort, along the lines of an anthropic form of participation.  

Richard Rorty questions our being the Mirror of Nature...... who says that nature needs a mirror, he asks. 

8:15pm----------- 

According to some interpretations of QM, consciousness plays a necessary role in the observation process.  

But where is the OWI, one-world interpretation of qm?  It remains to be invented.  (Well, in a later post, I will posit that Feynman's path-integral formulation of qm, along with Aharonov's theory of weak measurements, goes a long way toward an OWI.) 

More than any physicist, it was Einstein who championed the OWI, against what he perceived to be the disintegration being brought about be the MWI.  He would not stand for God playing dice with the Universe. 

Wednesday, Jan. 30 

3:45am---------- 

Ours is not to reason why...?  Well, tell that that to the philosophers.  Imagine what might happen, if they ever got their story straight..... If they were able to polish their mirror. 

Then there is the chain-of-being, or is it a sky-hook?  Don't you love the transmigration of the souls?  We work our way, all the way up, from being leaf-cutters, up to bodhisatvas, just in order to get off the wheel of life.  What is not clear is how, or why, we got on the wheel in the first place.  Original karma?  Who ordered that?  I did not witness much sinning, with the leaf-cutters.  They were far foo busy.  And from whence came that ol' wheely thing?  

Oh, but I keep forgetting..... ours is not to reason why.... it's all just atoms swerving in the dark! The leaf-cutters don't do much swerving..... straight are their paths, in the (seasonal) rain forest.  

4:30---------

Too smart are we, or has nature been patiently waiting for our maturation, our ripening?  Would nature have been complete without a psychic closure of the Wheel?  Are we quite certain that we do not, somehow, comprise the eye on the pyramid?  If the J-man was the cornerstone, where is the capstone?  Cancer or chrysalis?  

The Truth will set us free?  Free from what..... for what?  

What do the leaf-cutters know of wheels or time-machines?  What is their Evangel?  

For awhile, we had flattened time into a linear history, but, now, time is threatening to curve right back upon itself.  Rather as the Voyager, just on Carl's request, turned its camera back upon our pale blue dot.  Imagine that, leaf-cutters!  

Transcendentalists are we?  Well, look where that has gotten us...... all dressed-up in our space-suites, with nowhere to go..... stuck on our pale blue dot, waiting for the news from nowhere, while hearing rumors of a 'disturbing' message from the stars.  

Do we curse the great Void, or do we light a candle?  Where is the candle?  Which end do we light?  

(cont.......3) 

dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:02 am

We're back from CR, and I see that things have been quiet on the OM home front.....

I was using the limited Internet connectivity to keep up with the Salmony environmental list, from which three of us have an active interest in metaphysics. If anything develops from that, I'll be sure to let you know.

Jake Reason
    Jake Reason
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Jake Reason Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Dan,
    Welcome home to the wintery north. I hope your trip was fruitful.

Last night I watched a movie that you will be seeing, if you haven't already.
    Cloud Atlas
    I'll be watching it again today, as its one of those kinds of movies that matures with multiple viewings. It takes us on a wondrous journey through six generations of several reincarnated souls' interdependantly woven lives.

Which brings me to;
    dan wrote:
    Despite everything everyone has told you, we are only doing time-shares on the one cosmic Soul. Yes, maties, you and I are Soul-mates, whether we like it or not!

The poor cosmic Soul gets reincarnated ~10^10 times, and each of us is one of those incarnations. I kid you not! Who could have made this stuff up? Surely not Chicken Little,
    Share with us how you came to develop this hypothesis of the soul. Clearly and simply, how did you resolve it?

Jake Reason
    Jake Reason
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Jake Reason Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:12 pm

Oh and, no rush, Dan. It was just fresh on my mind. After your trip you'll have other things more pressing. When ever you feel refreshed over the next couple days or so.

Thanks

dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:01 pm

Jake,

Thanks for the question, and, yes, this singular soul hypothesis has, lately, become a critical part of the BPWH.

I've almost forgotten how it came about, so I'm glad that you are pressing me to remember.....

Yes, I have since rationalized the Singular Soul hypothesis, six ways to Sunday, but it is also useful to remember what it was that triggered the idea.

We could go back about year, at least, and look for the original post, but that would be tedious.

Clearly, Occam's razor figured prominently. And, I've always been intrigued with Feynman's single electron hypothesis, for reasons that go beyond anything I can readily verbalize. How I made the connection from electron to Soul is what I'm striving for.

But, yes, I've always used the electron as a model for the soul...... because, clearly, the electron has a prototypical soul, as any physicist will readily admit. Therefore, we have already won the debate about whether a soul is possible. If a soul is possible, then, after the electrons, we humans are the most likely ones to posses such a thing.

As far as I know, I'm the first one to make this blindingly obvious connection. Am I so smart? In the realm of the blind, the one-eyed man will be king.

dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:02 am

And I did have a bit of a breakthrough last night, while thinking further about Jake's question, and relating it to the discussion on the Salmony list. And now I'm struggling to recall it.......

It had something to do with our dualistic view of nature, and the concomitant view that we are too smart for our own good, as though we had managed to jump out of our natural training pants!

Darn it, I was recalling something else that was at the root of the single-soul hypothesis.......

Oh, yes, this was it....... It was Feynman's other brilliant idea..... that QM could be formulated as a sum over histories.

And, now, how was I going to relate this back to the Salmony discussion.....?

BTW, if you want to see the prelude to that discussion, check out this discussion on the Orion forum, especially between Mike K and Gary G..... going forward.....

Part of this was an explanation for why Nature did need a mirror, after all. It all has to do with the cosmic ecology..... bootstrapping, weak measurements, you name it......

Well, another name for this bootstrapping process is autopoiesis. I had plumb forgotten that nice little word. BTW, Mike is in his eighties, and Gary is not much younger.

And, speaking of old folks, Paul and Ann Ehrlich are now pointing to the inevitable collapse of civilization.......

But, first, try this...... http://www.alt-market.com/articles/1308-the-linchpin-lie-how-global-collapse-will-be-sold-to-the-masses

And then here comes Paul...... http://phys.org/news/2013-01-collapse-global-civilization.html

Both of these come gratis the Salmony list.

Date: February 3, 2013 11:04:25 AM EST
    To: Gary, 
    Cc: Mike, Steve and Paul 

Subject: Re: Metaphysics circle.....

Gary, 

I'm now just up to page 33 of the discussion between you and Mike, on the Orion site....... 

I now am moved to second what Paul recently imparted to us, which is the original Buddhist view, that humans think wrongly when we think of ourselves as somehow separate from the rest of the world.  

When we see ourselves as being a cancer on the planet, we are actually anthropomorphizing our situation.  Even if we were a cancer, nature must love cancers, otherwise she would not have invented so many forms of it, in all of the ecosystems.  

Does this mean that we should join the rest of humanity, in the 'developed' world, and eat, drink and be merry?  

No, but it does mean that pulling our hair out, and beating our breasts, may not be the correct answer either.  The correct answer may simply be to be gentle as doves and wise as serpents.  How so........?  

(cont......) 

Can this possibly mean that Sapience is not alien to Nature?  Can this mean that Sapience is an integral and even, possibly, an essential aspect of Nature..... that somehow Nature does need a Mirror, after all, and pace Rorty?  

Whatever caused us to suppose that we might be Aliens?  That we might be Strangers in a strange land, to paraphrase Camus and Heinlein?  

Is such thinking not the epitome of folly and arrogance?  Here we are, disowning our own Mother.  

Might we not then be merely a benign tumor?!  But, then, what is a benign tumor, if not a sort of, or a potential, Chrysalis?  

The one stone that has not been turned over, that has been roundly rejected, with barely a thought, is the cosmic Autopoeisis that might also be described as transcendental pantheism.  And what could pantheism be, if not also transcendental?  Or, is this an oxymoron, as some might at first suppose?  

(cont.....2)

(cont.)

dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:07 am

"How could it be any other way? It's never pretty. It's never perfect. But it's us," John Harbaugh said. "It was us today."
    And amen to that! And ain't the beer cold?!

Date: February 4, 2013 12:44:52 PM EST
    To: Michael K
    Cc: Gary, Paul and Steve 

Mike, 

You are probably right, and I say that with the caveat that I would therefore be wrong.  Nonetheless, I am still scheduled to speak at the Baltimore Green Forum, on the 24th.  And I still attend the weekly Search for Answers seminar at Grace Fellowship Church in Timonium.  

If, perchance, I happen to be right, then we have very little to worry about, but a great deal to think about and act upon, nonetheless.  

Environmentalists have duly won the title of our modern Cassandras/Jeremiahs.  The Best Possible World - Hypothesis (BPWH) would threaten their identity, were it to be taken seriously.  But, if truth be known, very few environmentalists spend much time dwelling upon the apocalyptic scenarios that are touted by some of us.  Nonetheless, under the rubric of the BPWH, they would acquire a distinctly new identity and social function. 

Pantheism, to which you, I, and most environmentalist loosely subscribe, is, despite its deep-ecology undertones, as shallow, ontologically, as are the Quakers, Unitarians and AAers that you point to.  Today, pantheism functions much the way animism and polytheism functioned in ancient times.  It now is the least common denominator of a grab bag of spiritual tendencies..... a spiritual tokenism, if you will.  

Why not just leave well enough, alone......? 

(cont.......) 

On Feb 4, 2013, at 11:10 AM, Michael K wrote:

In thinking of the problem of how to invite environmentalists to appreciate and include the power and dynamism of spiritual ideas and practices in their worthy attempts to save our world from humanity's present level of ignorant, unintelligent, destructiveness -- three existing groups come to mind that are characterized by their openness to a variety of viewpoints; Quakers, Unitarians, and AA. These movements have largely avoided the dogmatic, sectarian theologies that have proved to be so divisive. I don’t think the discussion of ultimate metaphysical realities these posts have chewed on are in any way crucial to gaining admittance to the minds of scientific thinking environmentalists. I don’t think Wilber for all his complex efforts has persuaded many of the materialist point of view to include his profound and rarefied concepts into their minds. For our environmentalist friends, I think a spirituality lite is adequate and appropriate.

6:20---------

There continues an email exchange between Paul, Mike, Gary and me. I will summarize it here, as time permits.

(cont.)

Jake Reason
    Jake Reason
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Jake Reason Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:40 pm

Thank you Dan, for your brief introduction to answering my query. I understood your recent scientific supportive cross references to your soul Hypothesis, however I was more interested on how you originally developed your hypothesis in the first place. I see you are busy at the moment, so no rush. I look forward to you sharing it with us when you have more time.

dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Jake,

If you are referring to my single-soul hypothesis, it is based upon Ockham, Feynman and the CTC.

And, while I'm here, allow me to record Gary's suggestions as to important names and books........

Dreams by Derrick Jensen (Apr 5, 2011), and especially the part where he interviews.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mart%C3%ADn_Prechtel (Martin Prechtel).

And, then..... Moral Origins: The Evolution of Virtue, Altruism, and Shame -
    Christopher Boehm

dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:44 am

Please note the reverse chronological order........
    Date: February 5, 2013 10:40:08 AM EST
    To: Michael K, Gary G, Steve S

(cont.......2) 

If we venture to think of ourselves as the co-Creators of this world, then we can understand our significance within this Autopoietic or bootstrapped reality, of which we all partake. 

Or, by the same token, we can think of ourselves as being the braincells of God, if you will

Just by being the Mirrors of Nature, we have already accomplished very much of that task, and we could not have done so without devoting trillions of dollars to scientific research, over the past several centuries.  Science has been a great and noble accomplishment on our part, and we environmentalists have no need to belittle that accomplishment.  Rather, we need to point to the way beyond Scienctific materialism.  

But, I'm suggesting that we may be much more than merely the passive spectators of the cosmic Spectacle........ seemingly situated on a totally insignificant pale-blue dot. 

Yes, as you have just stated, all the great mystics have pointed to the Oneness of the world.  I surely second that notion.... and this is just where the prophetic, monotheist tradition has departed furthest from the cosmic truth.  Is it not likely that our crucial task will be to correct this misperception, within that tradition?  Impossible, you say!  Well, maybe so, but not if we have a little help from above.  

(cont......3) 

On Feb 5, 2013, at 10:01 AM, Dan Smith wrote:

(cont.) 

And, please, Mike, I appeal to you to call me at your earliest convenience, so that the three of us may further expedite this exchange of ideas...... 443-xxx-xxxx.  My conversation with Gary, yesterday, was very helpful, at least for me.  

In a nutshell, we can surely agree that it would be better for us to be working with the cosmic intelligence, than against it.  Yes?  Any problems with this somewhat novel, environmental notion?  

By the same token, it would be silly for us to attempt to solve a manifestly human problem by continually belittling, and otherwise casting aspersions, at our target audience.  We don't go about saving folks by telling them that they are worthless evil-doers.  Even the evangelicals know better than this, and, yes, unless we wish to ignore the cosmic spirit, we need to make every effort to rededicate our brothers and sisters to that Spirit.  No?  

What I am here to suggest is that our human mission has almost been accomplished, and that it is simply the realization of our cosmic accomplishment that is, now, the primary obstacle between us and our Rapproachment with that Spirit.  Does this sound too weird?  

(cont.....2) 

On Feb 5, 2013, at 9:34 AM, Dan Smith wrote:

Mike and Gary, 

I have temporarily dropped Paul from our very short list, per his request. Steve can, hopefully, act as a stand-in for his larger list.  

I think we are, gradually getting down to the nitty-gritty of the human dilemma, and the existential crisis that we face.  

May we please attempt to agree upon a focus for this continuing conversation, at least the one that I wish to be part of.

Mike puts his finger right on it, in this last post of his.......  Theodicy.  

The vast majority of humans do not subscribe to scientific materialism. And virtually all of these do subscribe to some form of higher or cosmic intelligence, with which they are in occasional contact or communion.  

If we are going to address a global human crisis, then we must take this global belief system into account.  To simply ignore this elephant in the room, is to start from a very unrealistic position. 

I, however, have, quite arguably, been more engaged with this elephant than has anyone else, as I have been attempting to explain, for the last several weeks, and still leading up to my talk, at the end of this month.  I am asking the two of you to, please, hear out the solution that I will be proposing, on the 24th, by way of you helping me to better shape the presentation of.  Already, even with your minimal focus, you have helped me to develop several new insights.  Can we, please, just take this a bit further......? 

(cont......) 

Jake Reason
    Jake Reason
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Jake Reason Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:35 pm

Heads up, Dan

https://openmindsforum.forumotion.com/t97-hellothis-one-is-for-the-forum-owners

One of my peripheral talents is being called upon.

Tip toeing through the tulips.

dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:37 am

Thanks for the heads-up, Jake. Do see this as something useful? There seems to be some question as to the actuality of the 'missing' data. Has anyone done an actual inventory.

And what about overseas servers? Would that slow it down for us, back here?

Date: February 6, 2013 12:01:16 PM EST
    To: Michael K
    Cc: Gary, Paul, Steve, Sam, Gus, Peter 

(cont......2) 

Ok, it's time for just a recap....... 

1.)  I offer only a shred of hope...... or is it the only shred....?  

2.)  ......as a practical aside, let us not be too hasty to awaken sleeping dogs.  So sweet is the slumber of materialism..... 

3.)  The folks who's profession it is to peer into the guts of the world, find, instead, layers and layers of mathematics and logic.  Golly, they wonder, is God a mathematician?  

4.)  Philosophers peer into the minds of mathematicians, and the like, and find more than mere logic.  In fact, they can find all kinds of stuff in there, except for numbers.  Hmmm...... 

5.)  Along comes Chicken Little, that's me, folks, scratching the bump on his little noggin...... What, then, if we are just the figments of a mathematician's imagination?  And/or, by the same token, she is a figment of ours?  What would this be?  Well, not to mince/mint words, or anything, but some might think of this as an autopoietic-bootstrap.  I would call it the best possible ouroboros, or closed timelike circuit (CTC), residing in eternity, beyond space and time, in the big 'computer' in the sky, or encoded on the 'future' holographic event horizon.  Don't ever accuse physicists of lacking imagination! 

What is the upshot?  

The hopes and fears of all the years...... hang by a rather slender bootstrap, which is probably just twisting in the cosmic breeze.  Oh, and, yes, in a couple hundred years or so, the circuit will be completed, as our descendants become our ancestors...... lucky, them!  Childhood's beginning?  

Dan 

On Feb 6, 2013, at 11:17 AM, Dan Smith wrote:

(cont.......) 

One step further.......

Well, how about one and a half steps.....?!  

To say that the world is composed of logic, is to say that it is more akin to a virtual reality or a holograph, and both of these possibilities are taken with no small degree of seriousness within the physics community.  Wonderful!  Who, then, is to become upset, if we are then disposed to think of the world more as a great thought, than as a great machine...... simply substituting Spinoza for Newton, say?  And who takes Newton seriously, anymore?  

Was that a half-step.....?  Help me keep count!  

Here, then is the whole step...... 

Are we, folks, thinking machine or just thinkers.  Yes, this is a somewhat loaded question..... 

Hey, some of my best friends are computer nerds, and there was a time when I could have easily been mistaken for one.  Right, Sam?  

Well, that was then....  Now we've put aside such tinkering toys, mostly!  

What I am more aware of today, as a simple perusal of the mind-body problem will easily demonstrate, is that the mind is not so easily stuffed into a can, or even into a skull, for that matter, pace Darwin&Co.  

Hey, look, I have a great admiration for the unceasing, strenuous efforts of the neuro-scientists and artificial intelligencers, and they may well win the day.  But that day does tend to recede, apace, or so it sometimes seems.  Furthermore, I don't wish to sell you a pig in the poke, whatever that used to be.... 

I simply suggest that we, who enter into the realm of environmental seriousness, need not surrender all hope.  And, hey, again, if you feel bound to so surrender, it is still a free world.  Take my word for it!  

(cont.....2) 

On Feb 6, 2013, at 10:30 AM, Dan Smith  wrote:

Mike et al., 

Thank you for the phone call, last evening.  It was on the brief side, since I was at dinner with Sam H, of this list, and three others.  Nonetheless, I do have a better understanding of your thinking.  As a followup, Gus and I continued the conversation, over dinner, along with Sam and Peter.  

I'm thinking that I may need to consider an alternative 'sales point', when, this afternoon, Sam and I review the flyer for the upcoming BGF talk.  

Folks have every right to be most pessimistic about the fate of humanity, and, certainly, we should all be alarmed at our prospects.   

But, then, here I come, tripping through the tulips, doing my best rendition of the original Pollyanna. Something is not computing.  Yes?  

Do I want or expect folks to now become optimistic, as we wait expectantly for Godot to pull our fat out of the fire?  No.  

I guess what I'm offering is the possibility of a cosmic loophole, in the karma machine.  And, yes, I am aware that such an offer was made, at least once before.  If one takes that other offer seriously, then this one is, hopefully, just a timely reminder.  No big deal? 

And what is this loophole....?  

It is that the world may not be quite as 'solid' as we usually suppose it to be, knock on wood!  

What I share with many of my former physics colleagues is just a somewhat nuanced view of the solidity of the world.  They say that the world is composed of (occasionally 'broken') mathematical symmetries.  Or, say, that the world is, somehow, composed of logic, rather than just atoms swerving in the dark.  Yes?  I confess that I'm wont to take this 'logic' just one step further......... 

(cont....) 

On Feb 5, 2013, at 10:13 PM, Michael wrote:

The Life Force, however one conceives that, is not able to deal with the higher levels of knowledge and power to directly prevent them doing great harm. Abstract forces like that are very general in their impacts, they cannot sit down so to speak and come up with a plan to deal with the runaway power of humans. Of course one could say that the life force can withdraw before the onslaught becoming in that way was a death force against its destroyers, taking them down with it. But their is a lot of anthropomorphizing of what is a limited force. The life force itself is a very vague and questionable concept.akin to Bergson's elan vitale. To imbue it with a mind capable of planning and executing a retaliatory strike against its tormentors is a bit much. If there is such a thing as a life force, it would be more like gravity that does not punish its defiers, but just operates as an impersonal law, like karma. Karma bears no ill will to anyone. It just does its thing impartially.

Date: February 6, 2013 12:23:03 PM EST
    To: Michael 
    Cc: 

Subject: Why is God such a Prick?!

Mike, 

I love it......!  

Allow me, please, to 'slightly' rephrase that...... Why is God not a Party-Pooper?  

As in, when the Cat's away, we, mice, do play.  Sometimes we play rough, in our little pale-blue sandbox, and we throw sand, a lot of it, in each other's eyes.  

All ye, all ye, in-free?  When is the best time for the dinner-bell?  When should Dinah blow her horn?  When should the fat-lady sing?  

Hey, Mike, that's why I'm here.  I'm waiting for you to tell me!  

On Feb 6, 2013, at 11:41 AM, Michael wrote:

Dan et al  --  There are several considerations re: help from "beyond". Of course we would like knowledge/power to deal with our escalating problems, but on the other hand abuse of power/knowledge has been a major factor in creating our difficulties. Is more power safe in our hands? If we admit to being incompetent to wield even greater power than we have achieved so far, maybe that shadowy 'Beyond' could just take things out of our hands and handle everything for us deus ex machina style, without putting the controls in our hands? Pretty please? Be a nice Parent Figure and get us kids out of this mess? Make like the Wizard in the Sorcerer's Apprentice and use your superior magic to make everything nice?

In that scenario one could ask, "What's been keeping you, we needed this kind of help a long time ago!" (We keep coming back to theodicy, or why is God such a Prick!?)  Maybe we are not doing our part? Why are we here anyway? To learn some lessons? Why do the tests need to be so agonizing? Maybe these lessons can only be learned in this way. How did God become God? Through conquering ordeals like we are facing? Why must we recapitulate that process? Because God needs to be constantly recreated, and we are the instruments for Divine Rebirth. When Purusha (pure Spirit) emerged from the domination of Prakriti (pure Matter) it was not a once and for all victory. That process needs to be constantly renewed, lest the darkness of Prakriti swallow everything into the black hole of its maw.    Maybe?

Date: February 6, 2013 5:07:33 PM EST
    To: Sam 
    Subject: Announcement for Feb 24 

Are we toast?  

There is an emerging view amongst environmentalists that we have passed our point of no return, with respect to a general collapse of civilization, along with much of the Earth's remaining ecosystem.  

Dan Smith, however, would like to hold out a slender reed of hope....... a Pollyanna amidst the Cassandras.  

Amongst the Cassandras is the view that, yes, we have, temporarily outsmarted Nature, but that Nature will bat last.  A Pollyanna might suggest that Nature is neither stupid nor malicious.  On this view, we are not a cancer, but, rather a chrysalis.  Humanity is a kind of seed pod.  Not that we are star seeds, but, rather, something slightly less materialistic, if you will.  

dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:02 am

Date: February 7, 2013 10:01:07 AM EST
    To: Sam B Hopkins 
    Subject: Re: Jim Gray's redraft of part of text for flyer for Feb. 24

Sam, 

Ok, then, how is this........?  
    ----------

Nature Bats Last

Or so it is said.  But who batted first?  And is this a game?  

Dan Smith will attempt to address the fundamental issues of Environmentalism. 

Environmentalists have every reason to be Cassandras..... that, somehow, we temporarily outsmarted Nature, and now, finally, we are about to receive our comeuppance.  

Dan will suggest, however, that Nature is neither stupid nor malicious.  Rather than our being a cancer upon the Earth, we and the Earth are looking more like a chrysalis.  A cosmic plan is unfolding, before our eyes, but we must open our eyes, if we wish to see what is unfolding. 
    Jake Reason
    Jake Reason
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Jake Reason Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:52 am

dan wrote:Thanks for the heads-up, Jake. Do see this as something useful? There seems to be some question as to the actuality of the 'missing' data. Has anyone done an actual inventory.

And what about overseas servers? Would that slow it down for us, back here?
    We're not doing anything yet. At this point we don't clearly see the benefits.

---------------

Gary has published an article from his book at STARpod. You, RP and others are featured. I posted it on the forum here:

https://openmindsforum.forumotion.com/t98-serpo-and-intel
    dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:42 am

Jake,

Thank you for this update, on both fronts.......

1.) Gary's new article seems to be covering new ground. I had read parts of his new book, but had not seen this condensed version. It does seem that we are not too far from an imminent ground-zero. Do we not have boots on the ground?

2.) New, overseas servers for the forum? Well, yes, it is much easier for the CIA to deal with foreign nationals. Domestically, they need special permission from the FBI to interact with folks like Chicken Little. It's not totally clear, however, that the FBI is cleared to the Aquarium/Sunfish level.

Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:40 pm

"This is an indeterminite problem. How shall I solve it? Pessimistically? Or optimistically? Or a range of probabilities expressed as a curve, or several curves?..........Well.....we're Loonies. Loonies bet. Hell, we have to! They shipped us up and bet us we couldn't stay alive. We fooled 'em. We'll fool 'em again!" Robert Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
    dan
    dan
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by dan Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:54 pm

Cy,

I may not be able to hear your interview. Please keep us posted!

Jake Reason
    Jake Reason
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Jake Reason Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:17 pm

Admin wrote:Hi Dan,

I've another interview with TJ tonight. Details here: https://openmindsforum.forumotion.com/t99-2nd-interview-with-cyrellys-geibhendach-on-tjmorrisetradio#1905

I look forward to it, Cy. However, I sadly won't be able to listen 'live'. I am sure you will do a fine job, Cyrellys.

Jake Reason
    Jake Reason
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Jake Reason Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:36 pm

dan wrote:Jake,

Thank you for this update, on both fronts.......

1.) Gary's new article seems to be covering new ground. I had read parts of his new book, but had not seen this condensed version. It does seem that we are not too far from an imminent ground-zero. Do we not have boots on the ground?
    I hadn't bought the book. I'll have to send him some money, rather than Amazon. I'd like his book autographed.

I posted a comment to Gary at the bottom of his article.

http://www.starpod.us/2013/02/07/players-behind-the-ufo-spy-game/

Gary responded with a most remarkable comment. I've seen a very similar comment years ago, but it was published under an "anonymous". If I recall correctly it was shared by Victor Martinez during the first couple weeks of Serpo releases. In which he streamed comments that people had sent into him, after reading the Serpo releases, names withheld. Hmmm, maybe it was Gary.

It certainly is the first time I have seen Gary state such. Maybe he had, and I've simply missed it. Kit told him the same!?

Imminent ground-zero? Well it was only six years ago, we had to call Ron, CoK25. I'll surely never forget April 2007.

I wonder if Gus is reading STARpod lately.

Well, who knows if D-Day is being imminently discussed on the Beltway. But surely Gary is not going unnoticed.

GSB/SSR
    GSB/SSR
    Special Guest
    Special Guest

Post by GSB/SSR Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:45 pm

Question of the day: If Americans can be executively droned out of material existence for supporting the agendas of terrorist organizations, what about Americans who support the agendas of otherworldly non-material shadows of reality? ;-)

"There is no information without representation."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:56 pm