"They came up with a table of pictures of all the shapes of UFOs that have ever been recorded -about 50 ...The study of UFOs may reveal some new forms of energy to us,or at least bring us closer to a solution.
General Vasily Alexeyev ,
Russian Air Force -Space Communications Centre
There are some pretty comprehensive charts and links below dealing with different reported UFO/OVNI shapes over the years such as discs, triangles, spheres, boomerangs, pyramids, eggs, diamonds, cones and cylinders- if anyone knows any more info then please post away.
Chart from the 1968 U.S. Symposium on UFOs:
Link examining reports of :
Other chart from NASA employee Paul R. Hill's book "Unconventional Flying Objects: A Scientific Analysis":
UFO Research of NASA's Paul R. Hill.
Technical overview - different shapes/characteristics
Chart from Poland documenting different shapes:
Characteristics:linkThe number of different shapes, sizes, and configurations of claimed UFOs has been large, with descriptions of chevrons, equilateral triangles, spheres, domes, diamonds, shapeless black masses, eggs, and cylinders. Skeptics argue this diversity of shapes, size and configurations points to a socio-psychological explanation. Other researchers argue that the large diversity of UFO shapes points to a possible paraphysical origin. Still others argue that there is a large diversity in the shapes and sizes of human flying craft, reflecting different origins, propulsion systems, and purposes, so such diversity in UFOs is not necessarily unexpected or inexplicable.
Another argument is that the true underlying shape may, in some cases, be concealed or distorted by the ionization of air around the objects, believed by some researcher advocates, such as NASA engineers Paul Hill and James McCampbell, to be a characteristic of the propulsion system. Air ionization could also partly explain the diversity of colors reported, as different air molecules are excited at different energy levels, as well as the electric, neon-like glow around the objects often reported, similar to what happens with polar auroras. Another view is that the shape may be concealed or distorted by space-time distortions arising from an anti-gravity propulsion system. However, some feel that such speculation is overly premature because the very actuality of UFOs as alien craft is itself problematic.
Other advocates, arguing for the non-conventional interpretation, reply that the volume of impressive sightings reported by witnesses, from commercial airline pilots to United States presidents, and occasionally captured on film and radar, possesses strong consistency and cannot be explained away simply as mundane phenomena (weather balloons, aircraft, Venus, etc.).
Here are detailed descriptions based on Brad Steiger's analysis of several thousand sightings over the past 40 years:
1. THE CLASSIC FLYING SAUCER. This is the most common UFO of all -- it's been reported around the world for more than four decades, according to Steiger. "The craft has a metallic saucer-like body ranging in diameter from 10 to 15 feet. An exhaust port on the bottom emits a yellow light that dances like a flame upon takeoff. Bright lights rim the saucer, and a clear circular dome is often seen on the saucer portion."
2. CONICAL DISK. This UFO resembles a Chinese peasant's large straw hat. It has a flat bottom. The craft is generally reported as being about 200 feet in diameter and 10 to 12 feet high at the peak, with no exterior lights.
3. FOOTBALL SHAPED. This craft has a thick black body that tapers off at either end. Smaller UFOs have reportedly been seen entering and leaving a bay on its lower surface--so it's often called a "mother ship." Reports have placed the craft's size at up to 80 feet long and 20 feet high.
4. COIN-LIKE DISK. Shaped like a giant 50-cent piece, this UFO is the type most often reported by military and airline pilots flying at 20,000 to 40,000 feet. Eyewitnesses say the flat edge of the disk often is ringed with red or green lights. The spaceship is incredibly fast, zipping along at speeds of more than 2,500 m.p.h. "The craft has been estimated at 15 to 20 feet in diameter and 2 to 3 feet high."
5. TOP-SHAPED. Reminiscent of a child's toy top, this craft is fat in the middle and tapered above and below. It's covered with multicolored lights. Powerful jets around its midsection move the UFO in any direction. "Round port-holes often ring the vehicle. The body often is said to be grayish, like a shark's skin."
6. EGG-SHAPED. This massive vehicle has been reported to be up to 200 feet in length. It has an oval shape like an egg, with no visible portholes or windows, and glows slightly in the dark.
7. DIAMOND-SHAPED. This craft resembles the top half of a diamond mounted on a flat surface. Its exterior is polished and as dazzling as a mirror in bright sunlight. The UFO usually is about 18 feet across and 8 to 10 feet high. It has no portholes or windows.
8. BLINDING LIGHT. Typically spotted at night, this UFO doesn't have a definite shape -- it's simply a dazzling orange light. "But it moves methodically, as if guided by some from of intelligence.