UFOs, Extraterrestrial Contact, Conspiracy, Exopolitics, Geopolitics, Paranormal, Crypto-zoology, Ancient History, Cutting-Edge Science & Special Guests.

Latest topics

» Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2
Yesterday at 8:04 am by dan

» Getting too Close
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:11 pm by Earthling

» Morgellons and Nanotechnology
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:02 pm by Summers

» Dan Smith - "Just the Facts Ma'am"
Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:36 pm by dan

» The Reality of The Phenomenon
Fri May 26, 2017 4:39 pm by RyanM

» space travel
Thu May 18, 2017 4:26 pm by jizba

» What Music Are You Listening To ?
Thu May 18, 2017 2:19 pm by Cyrellys

» Uncommon Thoughts on Common Things - Cyrellys
Thu May 18, 2017 12:19 am by Cyrellys

» Hello, Cy, OMF II - Part 2
Fri May 12, 2017 2:03 pm by garzparz

July 2017

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

MIND MIX RADIO joins OMF

Fri May 06, 2016 6:27 pm by Admin

Mind Mix Radio hosted by Manticore Group joins the Open Minds Forum May of 2016. Featuring talk on a wide variety of subjects ranging from research to current events, it is expected to add a new dimension to the materials featured at OMF.

strange math

jizba

strange math

Post by jizba on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:39 am

I am NOT a mathematician.
What I am about to write may be well known or be TOTAL NONSENSE.
So please bear with me.

There are two separate but otherwise identical complex systems.
I: a+bi
J: a+bj

Now combine the two systems and get

I+J:a+bi+cj

There may be many rules to resolve numeric combinations. Here is one example

ai+bj  =(a+b)i if a is greater than b
          (a+b)j if b is greater than a  ... otherwise 0

aixbj=axb

Any comments?

jizba

strange math

Post by jizba on Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:59 pm

Oh come on, I get tired of receiving a reply giving ample references to studies of these equations, or to tell me that by my rules the whole thing reduces to nothing and is nonsense. So I will drop the other shoe anyway and describe the idea that strange math would be of interest to science fiction writers. Consider the plot of the following science fiction story:

A physicist discovers strange math and realizes that it is the key to accessing alternate universes. He/she postulates that I (I:a+bi) is valid in our normal universe. However J (J:a+bj) is a characteristic of the alternate universe. So he/she builds a structure that supports I+J with small and equal constants. When a person from normal universe enters the structure and increases the constant b, on exit from the structure he is in alternate universe. You get the idea.
Cyrellys
Admin
Admin

Re: strange math

Post by Cyrellys on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi Jizba,

yes I get your idea as you summarized it in the second post...what I'm curious about, is how do you deal with the inherent differences in the living being of one universe vs another wrt long-term survivability?

"This is an indeterminite problem. How shall I solve it? Pessimistically? Or optimistically? Or a range of probabilities expressed as a curve, or several curves?..........Well.....we're Loonies. Loonies bet. Hell, we have to! They shipped us up and bet us we couldn't stay alive. We fooled 'em. We'll fool 'em again!" Robert Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

FEMA Orders 200,000 Death Certificates–What For?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfrNGx_nEwA&feature=player_embedded

jizba

strange math

Post by jizba on Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:05 am

Thanks for the response. As far as the science fiction analogy, I suppose it would be
the writer's option to resolve it. For example the alternate universe may have so different physics that no stars have ever formed there. But seriously, my analogy was intended to highlight the idea that a simple number can be made to have totally unexpected consequences. For example a blood test on a patient that changed from a normal reading to an anomalous value will cause the doctor to prescribe a totally different treatment.

Sponsored content

Re: strange math

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:46 pm